Thursday, September 2, 2010

About Benson.

I was just going to do a post about Molly because I feel like she gets left out sometimes, but then I felt like I was leaving Benson out, so here you go...


Benson is a little stubborn. He likes to do things by himself. If I carry him up the stairs and he wanted to do it himself, he will go back downstairs just so he can come up on his own.
Benson really, truly is a good kid. Sometimes he has a moment or two, but usually, if he's not provoked, he is a good kid with good intentions. He is really good about helping me or getting me things I need.
Benson is a spaz. Actually, it's really weird because for us, he's a spaz, but for people he doesn't know, he is completely quiet and reserved. We just started "joy school" with our neighborhood, and I am so surprised because Benson is the quietest kid. That's probably because we don't know any of the other kids. I bet when he gets to know them, our problem won't be quiet anymore. (Did that sound like I was referring to Benson as "our problem"? hah, that's funny. I'm leaving it.)
Benson is SUPER smart. Probably every mom thinks that about her kids, and I think Benson is too. After I tell him things once, he usually remembers them FOREVER. He talks so well and most of the time says words right and uses them correctly too. We have been working on teaching him to say things the right way and so now if he says something wrong, he'll stop and correct himself, and go on. He also knows how to use every gadget we have, which is many. When I got my iPhone, he showed me a few neat features that I didn't know about. It's hard to trick a kid so smart, though, cause he remembers what I say and then uses it against me.
Benson is not the world's nicest brother. Although, most of the time his intentions are good, he usually ends up hurting Molly whenever he touches her. If it weren't for Molly, he'd probably never get in trouble. If Molly ever gets into something she shouldn't, he is more than happy to rip it out of her clutches, usually pretty forcefully, but with good intentions. He watches out for her, which is nice. Sometimes he's watching out for a moment to kick her in the ribs when we're not watching, though. Also, he doesn't like when she gets attention. It's been hard for him that she's crawling and standing up and doing more things now, because she gets a lot of praise. Usually when we praise Molly for doing something, Benson knocks her down or sits on top of her until we stop praising Molly and start yelling at Benson.
Benson doesn't like to be alone. He is always within 5 feet of where I am in the house. If I send him outside to play, he comes in 20 times to ask me to come out and play with him. It's strange, though, because he just likes to play with adults. If other kids are around, he usually doesn't play with them at all, but loves when he gets to play with an aunt or uncle or grandparent.
He never stops talking. (other than at preschool, apparently). This is probably because we have just sat around talking to each other for almost 3 years. Driving is the worst because I can never listen to a book on tape or focus on anything besides the jabberbox in the back seat. I love this, though, because he usually says really funny things. He is also a bit of a commentator. He gives us the play-by-play for everything. Here is a simulation:

"Now I'm putting on my shoes. Oops wrong foot. Better switch. That's better. Hey, these match. Blue shorts, blue shoes. That's silly. I love my running shoes, they make me run so FAST. Faster than Lyking Ukeen. I mean Light-ning Muh-queen. That's better. Mater is the best backwards driver. I can't drive cause I don't have a driver's licence. I can ride my mo-cycle, I mean motorcycle, though. I am the fastest motorcycle pedaler. I bet I could beat dad in a race. He rides wheelies on his bike. But I can't ride wheelies cause I might tip over. I better where a helmet cause if I tip over then it could keep my head safe...." and on and on.

7 comments:

Heather C Taylor said...

So adorable! I miss seeing him every Sunday!

Dawn said...

Darling!

Em Russ said...

oh man. That was awesome on so many levels. I am still cracking up picturing him doing wheelies!! Oh I love and miss that little crazy man. Give him a smooch for me.

Shawnee said...

Plus, he's so handsome. What cute pictures! And I loved it when Brady told me he was running around the house saying "Baby Boy Barrett is coming" or something to that effect. So cute.

Jeff and Susan said...

Who says arranged marriages are illegal..... Mr and Mrs Benson and Ellie Dalpias....... wow he is cute. Great post u r amazing

Alana said...

You have such darling kids. How can anyone look at those photos and not smile? I think it is impossible. You can see in their faces that they are well loved by a wonderful mom and dad. :o)

Jan Haws said...

So sweet and cute.