Friday, June 4, 2010

Grandpa

Today is June 4, 2010.

Grandpa Dalpias died today. He has had Alzheimer's for longer than my 4 years as a Dalpias. I never really got to know him, but I loved him. He was a sweet man. He couldn't remember much, but he remembered that I was a "Hooper-ite", the sworn enemy of those West Weber Italians. When he couldn't remember most things, he remembered me and would always ask "How's that Hooper-ite". Well, Ernie, I feel a little sad today. Although it is a wonderful day for you, it is such a sad one for us. We will miss you, and Grandma Dalpias will miss you... But what a blessing for you to be released from a failing body and such pain. I'm sure he is in Heaven doing the chicken dance with all of those Italians.

Also, 26 years ago today, my Grandpa Haws died. He died before I was born, so I never knew him. He has missed so much. I feel sad to have never known him. My poor grandma has been so lonesome for him for so long. I cannot imagine living so long, so lonely, without your companion.

This could all be such sadness, and although we are sad, we have hope. I know that we can all be together again. I know that families are forever and that one day, we will see those we love again and be together. I am so grateful to know that we aren't lost. I cannot imagine living without the person you love for so long and not knowing that you will be together again. What a blessing the gospel is in our lives. Heavenly Father has given us hope of an eternity together and I am so grateful for that. Now we go on. Doing the best we can. Someday... Someday... we will see you again. And we will have the chance we never got here. To know each other.

4 comments:

Shawnee said...

So sorry to hear about him dying, but so glad to be happy he's in a better place!

Em Russ said...

sweet post Nat. Thanks for the reminder!

S 'n H NGO said...

My grandma passed away from this 3 years ago. It is so hard to see them become someone who they totally are not. Our prayers are with you and your family for your loss.

Jan Haws said...

Thanks for remembering and sharing your feelings. I too am thankful for hope.