Thursday, October 9, 2008

Wal-Mart or Not?

I was hoping I could get some opinions...

Today I did a little grocery shopping. I didn't need much, just milk and bread basically. I was already out and about, so I just stopped at the local Macey's. I absolutely LOVED my time spent there. I found everything I needed so quickly and the employees there were SO helpful and nice. I stopped by the bakery and picked up some fresh-baked rolls and then stopped by the deli and had them slice some meat and cheese for me. They were so helpful, they gave me advice about my produce, they gave us samples, and Benson even got a balloon (which only lasted as far as the parking lot before he let it loose.) A little old man bagged my groceries for me (he even asked if I wanted paper or plastic) and then offered to help me out to the car. It was wonderful!

On the other hand, I hate to admit it, but lately I have been doing a lot of my shopping at Wal-mart. I feel like I can stretch my budget a little farther when I shop there. Plus, a lot of the time, I need more things than just groceries. Like right now, I have shoe laces and shampoo on my list, and I will wait to go to Wal-mart to buy them because they are so outrageously priced at the grocery store. I feel like I can get everything on my list in one stop at Wal-mart. But I DO NOT like shopping there. I never feel like the employees are that helpful, I don't feel like the store is that clean, and if there is anything that could top off my usually terrible shopping trips, there are ALWAYS the longest lines. Plus not to mention the effect that Wal-Mart has had on the world we live in... I won't even go there...

So I'm torn! What do I do? Should I make a bigger effort to support the local grocery stores like Macey's (BONUS: they are closed on Sundays!) and enjoy my shopping experience but spend more money? Or should I go to Wal-mart and hate my shopping experience, but feel like I get a lot of bang for my buck?

Anyone who has an oppinion about this subject or who wants to give me some advice, I would LOVE to hear from you!

13 comments:

Em Russ said...

Personally, I pick my grocery store by the kind or "carriages" or grocery carts they have. If it can hold 3 kids and keep them entertained that's the one that wins my patronage! My grocery store bakery gives out free cookies. (I bet yours does too!) If they had balloons, man we'd be in business.
(Plus here in good old New England Walmart is about 10 light years away and does not sell groceries. One thought though. I usually spend more moolah when I go to walmart because I always seem to pick up a few extra things I hadn't planned on.)

Lauren said...

I hate wal-mart!!!! You can save if you do the coupon thing! Jay D and I went shopping and used coupons and saved $20.00. Just from coupons! And the trick is to use the coupons on already on sale items and than you get money back!

Alana said...

I go to where ever I am in the mood for. You can save a lot of money at Walmart, but the environment makes my blood pressure rise. I like shopping at Harmons when I can. I don't come out feeling frazzled and the workers are much more helpful and kind. No shame at shopping at either. :o)

Shawnee said...

I think you already know my opinion...shop the local guys to boost the local economy. I, too, do not like Wal-Mart or the values it upholds and the way they treat their employees and how they monopolize in order to save themselves money...only to leave the little guy out. I just don't want to support a company like that. I must admit, however, I am pleased that they do recycle (only because they got their goods at a cheaper price without extra packaging) and some stores have solar panels to help with electricity. I was with my mom the other day and she "had to" stop at Wal-Mart for some paper. I asked the cashier if he could put everything into one bag, versus a bag for every item and he looked at me like I was crazy. I proceeded to take everything out of the bags and carry them to my car without 3 plastic bags. That's another example of why not to shop at Wal-Mart. Sorry for my soapbox.

Judi said...

Stalee and I have started to do the "pinch your pennies" program and we are loving it so far. Today I bought,

2 easy mac cups
2 fun size candy bar bags
1 softsoap hand soap
1 steamable vegatable pack
1 box of chex mix bars

all for $1, that's right 7 items for $1.

Last week I got 31 items (big stuff too like ritz crackers, gogurts ect.) and spent $30 and save $70. It actually is really easy to do and the best part is you don't have to shop at Walmart and you get GREAT deals.

Let me know if you want me to teach you how.

When I am rich, I will shop at Harmons :) I love it there!

Josh and Laurie said...

I wish there was an easy answer to that. I hate going to Wal-Mart too but I'm not willing to pay so much more money at another store. I do try to shop at Kent's a lot more unless there is something that I absolutely need from Wal-mart that is just way more expensive from somewhere else. Sorry... no easy answer.

Candace said...

Definitely worth the extra money! I hate Walmart!!! I would rather spend a little more and go to Winegars or Kents. I am afraid if I don't support the local grocery stores that Walmart is going to take over the planet.

Jeremy & Jennifer said...

We are die-hard Macey's fans. It's our favorite grocery store and we do all our food shopping there, unless the price for something is unusually high. Being closed on Sunday is icing on the cake.

If I have to go to Wal-Mart, I go at 7:00 in the morning. It's a much better experience. :) The cashiers aren't exhausted and you can move a shopping cart down the aisles!

Nicole said...

I think we all have this problem. I do a lot of price matching, so I do go to Walmart, but only early in the morning without my kids. I will tell you, I watch the ad's everyweek, and if I can get the majority of the stuff on my list at any store besides Walmart, I go there. I Love Lee's they are so nice.

Marzipan said...

I shop at Dan's which is part of the same chain as Macey's and I LOVE it! And when I only shop the sales, use coupons, and plan my meals based off those foods on sale then I end up saving a lot of money. It does mean an extra trip to buy those other items - like shoe laces - but I feel like it's worth it!

Good luck!

Krystal said...

I agree with everyone on here: I hate Wal-Mart. But, like you, I do find that I go there for the things on my list that are non-food items. We like Macey's a lot too, especially their weekly sales. I guess my advice is the same as everyone else's watch for coupons and sales and plan your meals accordingly. Oh, and I've found that a lot of the time (if you don't mind buying in bulk) you can get those "extra" items at Costco for a pretty good deal too. That's where we get all our diapers, wipes, shampoo, contact solution, socks, etc. But you have to be careful about that too, because it's SO easy to spend too much at Costco.

Jeff and Susan said...

i try not to go to walmart because i hate it there but somehow i seem to always end up there

The Asper's said...

Oh don't even get me started about Wal-mart- Kendall isn't even allowed to mention it! I hate Hate HATE Wal-Mart. So definatly support the little guys, the prohpets have asked us to anyway- support those that are closed on sundays.