Thursday, November 18, 2010

The boy with glasses


Here is the story of how Benson got his glasses:

Last week I noticed Benson was closing one eye a lot. He was doing it so often, that I even took a picture. I didn't think much of it because I thought he was "aiming" at things, like he usually does with a gun.
Then on Saturday, he started to cross his eyes a lot. Actually, just crossing one eye, his right. Then once he would cross it, he would sometimes close it right after. We kept getting after him for it, but a lot of the times he would say that he wasn't crossing his eyes... So we weren't sure if he was doing it on purpose or not. On Sunday, we decided to ignore it and see if he was doing it just for attention or not. Well, he kept doing it and he wasn't making a big deal out of it either, so we were pretty sure he wasn't doing it on purpose. Casey gave him a blessing. We decided that it would be best to have his eye seen. I called my pediatrician and they said to bring him in on Monday. So we went to see Dr. Zane, who confirmed that it wasn't something he was doing on purpose. He said that he thought he had something called strabismus. Basically his eyes were aligned most of the time, but every once in a while they would get out of alignment. So he sent us to the opthomologist on Tuesday. He confirmed that Benson did have strabismus, but we had caught it early enough that he didn't have to have surgery or wear an eye patch. Basically, the remedy would be for Benson to wear glasses. We aren't sure how long he will have to wear glasses, maybe for the rest of his life. Tuesday, we went and picked out some glasses, which were obviously too big for his face, so we switched them yesterday for some that fit him better. We will pick them up today and see how he does with them.


Here's how I feel about it. Since I know you are all dying for my opinion... I am so grateful that we caught it before it was a big deal. Wearing glasses is minimal compared to wearing a patch or having surgery. It will take some getting used to for me. Benson is such a cutie, that it kills me to see glasses on his face. Also, he has the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen (next to Molly), so I hate to cover them up with glasses. I do, however, think he still looks really cute with his glasses on and I know that once we all get used to them, they will be just fine. I also think that we have been really blessed to have found it this early and to have such good doctors who can take care of us. We are just going to be really positive with Benson. For now, he still thinks his glasses are pretty cool, and I hope it stays that way.

2 comments:

Shawnee said...

We still love Benson...glasses and all.

Malisa Twelves said...

I think the glasses are adorable :) So excited to see all of you for Christmas!