Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Alaskan Update!

So far my Alaska trip has been really awesome. I can't believe it is already more than half over.
Here is what I have been doing-
Day 1 and 2-
Ling Cod/Halibut fishing. This was awesome! We went on a boat out on the ocean to fish for these 2 kinds of fish. The ling cod were cool because you first hook another smaller fish and as you were reeling it up a ling cod would come up to eat it and clamp onto it and ride it all the way up.
The halibut were a fun to catch also, but very tiring. You would have your line down 2 to 4 hundred feet and they you would have to slowly reel up these giant fish. We caught between 30 and 60 pounders and then one guy that was with us caught a 142 pounder. It was HUGE! It took up 2 hours to get it the the surface because he was using a smaller rod because we were fishing for ling cod at the time. The rod also only had 30 pound test line on it. It was a miracle he got it in at all.
While we were out on the boat we saw sea lions, puffins, whales, and dolphins. The dolphins were awesome because they would come up and play with the boat.







Day 3 -




Flyout




This was probably my favorite thing so far. We got on a puddle jumper plane and flew out to a lake with an inlet from the ocean where we all limited out on salmon. The plane ride was an adventure in itself. It is a strange feeling to take off and land on water. While we were there there were bears right by us that were trying to catch the salmon also. I really mean right by us, a couple of times I could have hit them on the nose with my fishing pole. They would really get excited when someone would get a fish on and try to come and catch it sometimes. We even had to cut some lines because we didn't want to have to try to reel in a bear. It was one amazing experience!













Here are some Lat/Lon for you people who want google earth where we've been!


Our fishing Lodge - 60 28.4920 N 151 04.6832 W


Our second Halibut Trip - 59 43.3654 N 152 19.3414


Our Fly Out - 60 47.4708 N 152 16.9319 W



Sorry this is such a sloppy post, but I don't really have time to get it all pretty :)

4 comments:

Candace said...

Sounds like fun! We are definitely all jealous as we sit at home and babysit. I am glad you guys are having such a blast.

Malisa Twelves said...

Holy cow! That is awesome! I wish I was in Alaska right now, it is a stifling 92 degrees in CT right now and humid! I can't believe you got that bear on video! Thanks for sharing!

~Malisa

Candace said...

Natalie- if you look at Josh and Julie's blog from mine it has a picture of the cute watches we are making for enrichment if you are interested. Let me know, we are making them in August.

Judi said...

Natalie, I totally forgot to say Happy Birthday, but I did think about you a lot on that day, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Judi

p.s. Is 23 as bad as I thought it would be?