Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Restaurant Certificate

So this is a little weird, but it really worked, so I thought I would post it for all of you.

Quoted from lifehacker.com:
"This website Restaurant.com sells gift certificates to participating restaurants all over the country, often offering deeply discounted prices. Right now the site is selling $25 gift certificates for $10, which isn't a bad start, but from now until Halloween, entering TREATS at the checkout applies a second 80% discount to the sales price. The result is a supremely cheap $25 gift card for just $2. Want to aim higher? The same discount applies to more expensive gift cards as well, so you can snag a $50 gift card for $4, $100 for $8, and so on. Be sure to read up on the participating restaurants before buying and check the fine print for the restaurant you plan on using it at so there aren't any surprises when the bill comes. A Restaurant.com gift card may restrict you to a minimum food purchase, for example. In the midst of financial apocalypse, this seems like a nice way to save a few bucks but still enjoy a meal out."

Last night, Casey and I bought a $25 gift certificate (for $2) to this Warehouse Steak restaurant in Ogden. The catch is.... You have to spend $35 in order to use your $25 gift certificate. So, we both ordered nice dinners and Benson got an order of french fries. We spend almost exactly $35 on dinner. Then we used our gift certificate for $25 and so our dinner only ended up being $10 (plus tip)... and the cost of the gift certificate, which was $2.

Casey made the observation that it's more like a coupon (spend $35, get $25 off!) than a gift certificate, and I agree. There aren't a ton of restaurants that participate, so if you want to check it out, go to restaurants.com before halloween!!!!

6 comments:

jamck said...

That's awesome - thanks for the info...

Johnny said...

Casey, I am proud of you for knowing about lifehacker.com. I looked at this the other day, but I didn't recognize the litany of restaurants in Boston, so we passed. Maybe Emily would say otherwise though.

Judi said...

Nat, I would love to teach you. It is really pretty simple. I will be at my mom's for probably the next two weeks so next time you come down to your mom's, just call me or come down and I will fill you in. It is pretty simple.

Cristel said...

Hey, I am removing my blog for safety purposes, but please keep in touch from time to time. my email is cristelromero1@yahoo.com. Keep in touch!

Cristel said...

Ok, so I am a nerd but after one day of not blogging I missed it. We are back but going private. Can I get your email address so I can add you?

Nicole said...

We went private so send us an email at wakemckellar@yahoo.com and if any of your family wants in we are good with that. Thanks for the info.