Sunday, May 23, 2010

Done and done

We did it!!!! We had our 5k yesterday and we did it!

Casey: 29 minutes
Natalie: 46 minutes

It was actually really fun. We had a lot of friends do it and it was so fun to see all of them and to cheer each other on. Casey said he was going to stay with me, even though I knew he could do it much faster than I could. Then when we started out running with all of our friends, Casey asked if he could leave me and run with those guys. I was so glad that he reached his goal of 30 minutes. And he RAN the whole thing without even walking. I walked some and ran some, and even though I came in one minute above my goal, I am really happy that I finished it.

We have already scoped out our next race and are planning on running another one in July.

Here are some things I will do differently for our next one:

Wear a watch. I had no idea how long I had been going. Casey had his phone, so he could tell on that, but I didn't know. If I had a watch, I think that would have motivated me to go a little faster.

Train earlier. Or train at all.

Stretch. I'm not too sore, but Casey really is. We need to do better at stretching.

Push myself. Casey pushed himself hard and didn't even stop running the entire time (probably why he is sore and I'm not). While I was running, I would think that maybe I should pick up the pace a little bit, but then I'd just be like "meh" and keep walking. I just wanted to finish and not be last. So next time I will try to push myself harder.

Thanks for all of your motivating comments. It was nice to hear all of your suggestions and support. We are really excited to keep going and training and do the next one faster and better!

3 comments:

Em Russ said...

Important question... did you get a t-shirt??

Alicia said...

This is the beginning of an addiction!! Not a bad one though, haha. Believe me this is how it starts and each next race is new insentive to do better. Sooner or later you are going to be looking for opportunity to train.
I am glad you liked it though.

Dan and Julie Fisher said...

Natalie, how are you?! I found your blog through someone else's blog from the University ward. How adorable are you kids??? And big! Glad I found you!