Friday, May 7, 2010

WinCo

Well, I did it... I braved the crowds and headed into the NEW WinCo in Ogden. Since I know you are all DYING for my opinion, I am more than happy to tell you exactly what I thought about it.

We got there and had to park way out in the farthest spot in the parking lot because it was so crowded. But it was their grand opening, so I expected that.

Walked all the way from the car to the store with Benson skipping along-side me and lugging Molly in her carseat. When we got up to the store, they had no carts. Zero. So I looked to the parking lot and none of the cart returns had any carts in them. So I headed back out to find someone who was done using their cart. About half way through the parking lot, still no carts. A kind lady noticed me and came to my rescue with a cart for me. Awesome lady. Not cool to have zero carts, but it's their grand opening, so I'll let it slide.

So as soon as you walk in, you are forced to go to the right, through the "bargain isle" straight to the produce. I like to get my produce last so it doesn't get smooshed in the bottom of the cart, but whatever. And what if I had just needed one thing in the right side? It would have been a pain. But I was glad to go through the bargain isle, it was great. Seemed like some pretty good deals.

Oh crap. The bargains are only bargains if you remembered your ad they sent in the mail. Of course I didn't. Asked an employee if there were any ads anywhere. Nope. Guess the bargains aren't as great as I thought. But even without the coupons, they were still ok priced.

The prices were alright. The majority of the good deals I saw were the ones in the ad that required a coupon. Too bad. I didn't really see many things outrageously priced. Overall, I thought the prices were fair. Of course there were a few things that were seriously cheap (like Grandma Sycamore's bread), but most things were average priced.

I didn't like the store layout. It felt a little off to me. Maybe that's just because it's different than other stores. I like long, straight isles, and they didn't have that really.

In a few places, they had someone standing by items that were particularly good priced, asking you to buy that item "Totinos Pizza, A dollar-five today, would you like some?" Maybe I did, until you asked me. Um, no.

Samples. Yes. Good. Keeps Benson happy.

So I get to the checkout thinking that overall I felt just average about the store. Not anything amazing, but I wasn't disappointed. I was thinking that maybe after the grand opening, when it calms down, maybe I'll come back.

And then came the checking out. I guess this is the part that can really make or break a store. And I think it ruined WinCo for me. For a long time I have been trying to choose between stores with low prices and no service or stores with higher prices, but friendly people and great service. I like to go to Macey's, Wangsgard's, and Harmon's because they are so friendly. The lady at Wangsgard's even knows us. She always gives Benson a sucker and talks to me while I'm checking out. But my wallet feels that friendly service is a bit overpriced and it's hard for me to justify the expensive stores just because they are "nice". I just feel so much better after leaving those stores than I do, for example, when I leave Wal-Mart.

Anyway, I'm checking out.... First of all, WinCo doesn't take credit cards, so after swiping mine 3 times, I finally figured out that I should probably use the debit card. There goes my 1% cash back! Then, and this is the breaker for me, I had to bag my own groceries. Now I don't want to sound lazy or anything, but I feel like stores should bag your groceries for you. In fact, this is the first store I've ever been to where I have bagged my own groceries. I was really thrown off by it and after the credit card fiasco and Molly crying and Benson trying to grab at things, it was a huge inconvenience for me to bag my own stuff. Sounds lazy, right? Think what you may, but I like baggers.

And of course, no one offered to help me out to my car. I have never said yes to having anyone help me to my car before, but I guess I just like being asked.

My overall impression of WinCo was fine. I feel their prices are fair, even probably lower than most stores. The store seemed clean and organized, although it would take some time getting used to where things were in the store. The employees seemed nice enough, but I just can't get over bagging my own groceries. I don't like that they could pay someone to stand by the pizza and try to get me to buy it, but they wouldn't pay someone to bag the groceries for me or to offer to help me out. Maybe it saves money, but I guess I would rather pay for good customer service instead of saving a few cents here or there and feeling "meh" when I leave.

So yeah, I guess I'm still torn over whether I will go back to WinCo. I will probably go back when the crowd dies down a little bit because maybe it wouldn't be so bad to bag groceries if there aren't 28 thousand people behind you in line. And it might even be better because sometimes I get a ga-zillion bags or the people bag my milk. Really? And I like the same things in the same bags. Fruit here, frozen stuff there, bathroom items over there. You know. Anyway, we'll see.

Thanks for listening to my rant. It really was a rant, I could tell. But now I feel much better.

4 comments:

Millie said...

You're not lazy, I can't believe they make you bag your own groceries. That seems so crazy and inefficient. I totally agree with you, why have someone stand by the pizza? Especially when they're so busy and no baggers? That is so weird.

Unknown said...

I felt the same as you! It was an "okay" store with some pretty good deals!! Maybe Walmart won't be so bad now if everyone keeps going to Winco!!

Em Russ said...

ok. so I don't know what winco is... obviously a new grocery store. BUT I am totally there for you on the bagging thing. It makes me annoyed that the baggers here are so stupid and put my bananas on THE BOTTOM... (seriously? have they ever eaten a banana...) BUT I would take that over bagging my own groceries with the kids in tow. DEAL BREAKER. for sure. When I was in college I used to go to Food For Less and bag my own groceries, but I also used to eat Ramen Noodles and Totinos pizzas every day.

Krystal said...

Loved this post, thanks. We go to Winco sometimes when we visit Aaron's family in WA and I'm not a fan either. I am a big fan of Macey's, they have the right size cart for me (the ones with the cars on the front, that two little boys are perfectly content to drive while I shop), they are SUPER nice all the time, and my kids always know if they are good then at the end they get a package of smarties and a balloon (free of charge, mind), and you just can't beat their prices on soft serve ice cream either. :) The little extra (Macey's is about the cheapest in Provo) we pay for services is just fine with me, because my kids behave so much better while we're there, that grocery shopping isn't as much of a dread as when I go to say...Smith's or Wal-mart. Sorry, this post was the very long way of agreeing with you...I like customer service :)