Thursday, July 8, 2010

Popcorn Fireworks

The 4th of July is my very favorite day of the year. Or is it the 3rd? Either way, I love this time of the year... Sometimes I feel disappointed after it's over because it didn't feel like something very special. But I told Casey that I think this has been the best 4th of July I've had. And that says a lot.

We always have a family "reunion" on the 3rd with my Haws cousins. All but 3 of us grew up on the same street and now most everyone lives far away. Getting together with them is fun. But it's being with my brothers and sisters that I love most. When we get together like this, it feels like we are complete again. It almost never feels like we are complete, so feeling that way is really special to me.

Since the 4th was on Sunday, we moved the celebration to the 2nd and 3rd. On the 2nd, we got family pictures (below) taken by Dana Willis, which turned out amazing! I love that we have everyone in this picture. What a precious keepsake. My sweet sister-in-law also took seperate family pictures for everyone. I love the one she took of us, click here to see it.



The festivities of the weekend included: playing softball, doing fireworks, sleeping in our tent in my parents' backyard, renting out the Roy Aquatic Center for about 70 people, having a slide contest at the pool, going to the parade, eating cream-filled chololate donuts, having a cookout, playing bocci ball and "horse balls", and watching fireworks again... Together.
The Hooper fireworks might have been my favorite part. We always go to my parents' church to watch them. My dad rigged something to make all the church parking lot lights go off while the fireworks were going. Benson and Casey pretended the fireworks were popcorn popping, and they reached out for handfulls of the firework popcorn, pretending to eat it, while sweet Molly snuggled with me, which is rare, eventually falling asleep during the fireworks.
Then, on a whim, Casey and I decided to go to his parents' cabin for Sunday and Monday. We packed everything up and left Sunday afternoon. The drive was beautiful, as always. We listened to the "Hunger Games" on my iPhone while the kiddos slept for the entire drive. The cabin is quickly becoming one of my favorite places on earth. It is so quiet and peaceful. Every once in a while we see a deer or a moose and the beauty of the whole thing helps me remember that our Heavenly Father loves us.
Casey's parents came up Sunday night and his grandparents came up for lunch on Monday. It was good to spend time with them and I felt the same way about being together with them as I did about being together with my family. It's my favorite thing. I am so lucky to have great in-laws.
We rode the Rhino, relaxed, had a campfire, and enjoyed the cabin while Casey and his dad did some work. I am so glad we went.
We got home Monday night and the kids were tired, so they went to bed early. I told Casey that he could go to bed while I watched the bachelorette, and he did. But only for a minute before he came out and snuggled with me on the couch while we watched the train wreck. I could tell that he was trying hard not to snicker at the whole show, and his trying made me love him more for watching it with me. And guess what? I didn't even have to coax him into saying nice things to me. He is much sweeter than any of the guys on that show.
Every minute of this whole weekend was perfect. It was perfect because I got to spend my time with all of the people I love most in this whole entire world. I can't help but thinking that maybe that's how it's supposed to be. I think Heavenly Father wanted us to be happy together and maybe how I felt this weekend is just a glimmer of what our Heavenly Father feels. Good thing this family stuff is forever. I hope every day in Heaven is like the 4th of July.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

oh... this is a beautiful post!! I think you summed it up perfectly by saying, "good thing this family stuff is forever!" So true!

Tami said...

I am glad I get to spend eternity with you guys. Your blog post made me feel all warm and fuzzy! I loved watching Benson eat the fireworks! :) The 4th of July really is the best holiday. It was great everyone came. Love you guys.

Alicia said...

Hey. Chris watches the bachlorette with me too, except the whole time he voices everything that is dumb to him.... which is a lot haha. But it is still sooooo sweet of them to do that!!

Jordan said...

Hey Nat, I just got on your blog and was looking through all your pictures and I just wanted to tell you how much I think you are so darling. When I see pictures of you, I kinda get like this homesick feeling. I have always looked up to you and I think you are so sweet! Your little family is so cute! I wish we could get together more often! Love ya!!

Kari said...

Way cute family pics! And I always love "looking back"! Your 4 yrs post was so cute! I can't believe Casey once had a beard that long!!!

Jan Haws said...

I think so too. Thanks for the sweet post!