Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Child's Prayer


Every night I sit on the end of Benson's bed before he goes to sleep. I feed Molly and do the bedtime routine with Benson. It works out nicely because I get to cuddle with sweet Molly and I get to hear Benson's take on the day. Usually we'll talk for a bit and then I'll tell a story and sing a few songs by the time both of them have fallen asleep.

Tonight, after we talked about firemen and policemen and who we can trust in emergencies, (oh and of course some talk about who gets to have guns) Benson asked me to sing him some songs. I started singing some of my favorite primary songs. Benson fell asleep after the first line of the first song, and Molly was pretty much asleep instantly, enjoying her bottle. I secretly love singing out loud, even though I am no good at it, so I kept singing. Casey probably thought it was taking a long time to get the kids to sleep, but I wasn't singing for their souls anymore, I was singing for mine.

I started singing one of my all-time favorite songs, A Child's Prayer. As I sat there, in our dark and quiet home, I closed my eyes and really felt the spirit as I sang. "Heavenly Father, are you really there? And do you hear and answer every child's prayer?" Something stirred in my soul and I was reminded of the simple truth that I've known since my primary days. Heavenly Father is there, he does hear us, and he loves us.

6 comments:

Judi said...

What a sweet testimony! Thanks for sharing.

Chantel and Brian said...

Thank you for that

Tami said...

Wow. Amazing how you can feel that at that moment. Love it! Thanks for sharing.

Em Russ said...

awww Nat. I have totally done the exact same thing with the exact same song (though you're more eloquent at describing it!!) I used to sing that song to Lila when she was a baby, almost every night. When Cameron was killed they were trying to decide what song to sing at his funeral and I suggested that one (because Cassi used to sing it to Cameron too). It took me a long time to be able to sing it again without totally losing it. There's just something sweet and pure about that song and how it captures the testimony and sweet faith of a child and also the relationship between us and our kids and God.

Lovely post sis. Thanks for sharing it!!

Krystal said...

I love that song too. And when I sing it my kids I feel those same stirring feelings. Thank you for sharing your testimony, and reminding me of mine. :)

Jan Haws said...

A few nights ago, I was sitting alone on the dark but beautiful beach at Marco Island Florida. Wayne was in our room finishing a book he was trying to get read before morning. There were a lot of thoughts going on in my head and I started singing the same song quietly out loud as the waves crashed. Tears rolled down mt cheeks as I felt the spirit touch my soul, I too know that my Heavenly Father is there and he does hear and answer our prayers. This was a sweet and tender moment, one I will always remember. Thanks Nat!