Tuesday, April 20, 2010

5k = 3.10685596 miles

Casey and I have signed up for a 5k to run together. Actually, the check and registration forms are sitting in the envelope ready to be mailed... waiting to see if we are really going to run it.

So a few weeks ago, I went to dinner with some of my friends and this charity 5k for a family we know got brought up. A few of them said they were going to run it. I had thought about it, and even mentioned it to Casey, but didn't really think I would run it. But I got all excited about it after talking to my friends, came home and ran a mile and a half on the treadmill.... ok, I walked or jogged most of it. But I was excited to train for something and even more excited to lose a few pounds and get in better shape.

I got done running and Casey was in bed. I told him that I was really excited and had gotten a training schedule online. He said he wasn't going to do it. As much as I talked to him about it, he didn't want to.... So fast forward to a couple of days ago. Casey is wondering why I'm not training for my 5k. Apparently he is going to train for it, and so should I. So I filled out the paperwork and wrote a check, addressed the envelope and let it sit on my counter until it gets closer, just to see if we are actually going to do it or not.

Well, the race is in one month and so far I have ran (walked) a total of 1.5 miles to prepare for it. I have NEVER, ever ran in my entire life. One time my friend wanted me to run track with her, so I went to the first day of track and pretended I had a knee injury to get out of it. So it's not like I could just go out and run over 3 miles without any training. Casey could, and has. My anxiety keeps building and I think that there is no way I can run this race.

So the money is in the envelope.... waiting for me to get my booty in action. Thus the point of blogging. If all of YOU (the 2 people who read this blog) know that I am training for it, you will be valiantly waiting to hear the results of the race on May 22.

Now I need to get going!

Oh, and I hope nobody got the feeling that I was husband-bashing. Casey's the best! And he is being very encouraging now. I sure love him!

6 comments:

Em Russ said...

you go girl. I wish I had the guts to join you.

Raymond and Nicole said...

Thats very very brave!!! Good for you!!

Millie said...

I know you can do it! Just know that your joints will hurt, that comes with the territory. But you can do it. I can't wait to hear about the results.

Lauren said...

I read your blog! I say go for it!!! I'm gonna run one this summer!

Shawnee said...

You can totally do it! Ease into the first bit of training so you don't get hurt and then get frustrated. Good luck!

Nancy Mc said...

You can ToTaLLy do IT. Train slow to avoid injury and pain:)